The City’s Heat Relief Strategy has been updated for the 2020 summer season, in response to COVID-19, and to ensure that emergency heat relief opportunities are available and accessible to those who may need them. The Emergency Cooling Centres are offered to residents if they do not have access to a cool space and cannot keep cool in their home or outdoors.
Starting tomorrow at 11 a.m., six locations will offer a publicly accessible, air-conditioned place to rest indoors and receive a cool drink. Staff who are trained to assist residents affected by the extreme heat will be on hand. Strict infection prevention and control measures will be in place.
In our community, Wallace Emerson Community Centre, located at 1260 Dufferin Street will operate as an Emergency Cooling Centre from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Additional Emergency Cooling Centres will operate at the following community centres from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Regent Park Community Centre, 402 Shuter St.
- Malvern Community Centre Arena, 30 Sewells Rd.
- Scarborough Village Community Centre Arena, 3600 Kingston Rd.
- Amesbury Arena, 155 Culford Dr.
- Domenico DiLuca Community Centre, 25 Stanley Rd.